Sunday 9 June 2013

We took two Jeeps into The Sick Land. I drove with Mo, Val followed us in the second Jeep. We headed to the hole where the old station used to be, and drove alongside the furrow that led away from it.

We stopped several times to collect samples from the churned earth. Some of the rocks had a residue on them that Val plans to study. The furrow continued in a rough line toward the Yellow Zone. I wanted to follow it, but we had to stop because Mo got sick. He hasn't adapted well to The Sick Land, and I think it'll be a while before he can go into the Yellow. I walked him back to Val's Jeep and told them to wait for me. I followed the furrow. I wasn't entirely sure when I passed into the Yellow Zone, but I thought I could feel the difference, a very slight sense of dizziness as I drove.

After a quarter of an hour, I decided to go back, as the furrow carried on as far as I could see. I was about to turn when something white caught my eye. It was far ahead of me, and I had to use binoculars to see it. I didn't drive any closer to get a better look, but what I thought I saw was this: a field of small, spherical, white fungi.

I felt bile rise in my throat. I turned the Jeep around and fled.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.