Wednesday 3 July 2013

Briefing

I had my briefing. I'm now one of thirty scientists working at the Omega One research facility. The scientists aren't funded by any public body; rather, funds come directly from the operators of the facility, and the research findings are proprietary. I asked about publications, and they told me to think of myself as a company man. I'm an employee of Omega One, and all the research I do belongs to them. I don't feel great about this, but I suppose it's worth it to stay out here.

I asked why I'd never heard of the facility before. They told me that Omega One had fallen out of favour with the research community years ago, and now the two groups ignored each other. I'd have thought I would have at least heard that there was another group doing research, but I didn't press them on it. I'm sure I'll be able to find out better information from the other scientists than I'd ever get in the briefing.

I've got a tour of the facility tomorrow, and I'll get to meet the other staff. I spent the rest of today reading and signing a huge pile of documents. One of them said that the internet usage is monitored. I'm not going to worry about whether anyone else can see this. After all, it's not as if I'm giving away any secrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.