Monday 2 September 2013

Wrong

I found the bag again. I don't understand how this happened.

Yesterday, when I found the bag of supplies, I let myself believe I'd been turned around, that The Sick Land was influencing my sense perceptions, making me think I was travelling in the opposite direction. So I went the other way. Today, I found the bag again. I was heading in the direction that I knew wasn't the right way, though it had to be. And after a day in the saddle, just as the sun slipped below the horizon, the sun that I knew should be on the other side of me, I came back to the bag.

This time, there was nothing screaming at me that this was wrong. My instincts tell me that this bag is in the right place, that it's the bag I left. Everything is on the side that it should be. But that means I've gone back along the furrow, deeper into The Sick Land. So how the hell did I find the bag before? I'm going to turn around again, head back out. I'm not going to think about what this means. I don't want to know.

Melanie is nearby. As I write this, she's crouched just outside the firelight, cradling her arm and muttering. I need to get her out of here. If I can save one person, then the mission won't have been a total failure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.