Saturday 28 September 2013

Creature

The thing that's been following me, the thing that killed Melanie, is in the crater. I'm hiding in a cave I found. The thing is moving slowly, uneasily, as if it has something wrong with it. I saw it coming down the crater wall, stumbling and struggling. I think it might be badly hurt, or maybe it's been exposed to the mal for too long. I still think it will kill me if it gets close. I'm unarmed, after all; I can't fight it. I watched it with horrid fascination until it was about halfway down; it was too far away to get a good look in the twilight, but I could tell what it was by the way it moved.

I carried on around the crater wall. I thought that if I kept moving, I could stay ahead of it, as long as it stops when the sun comes up so I can sleep. I lost sight of it once it was fully dark, and walked by starlight, my right hand on the wall. If I hadn't had my hand there, I might not have noticed the cave. It's only slightly taller than me, and fairly narrow. The horizon was brightening, and I thought the cave would be a better place to sleep than in the open. I hope I'm not mistaken.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.