Friday 1 November 2013

Mankind

I was offered the opportunity to stay. I'd move down a floor, to the level below. I've been led to believe that whatever they're doing down there is vital to the solution of the expansion problem, but also that the research is on the very edge of what's ethical and acceptable. I've been told that if I choose to go down there, I'll forgo any human rights I imagine might cover me. The work is apparently too important for them to allow you to leave if they don't think you're entirely trustworthy, and I could end up seeing out the rest of my days as a prisoner in the facility.

I think it's worth it. Whatever they're doing down there might well be humanity's final hope. If we can't hold back The Sick Land, and it continues to grow at its current rate, we're all doomed. I need to know what they're doing to hold it back, and I need to help if I can. I'm already buried in this too deeply to be extracted; if I left now, I'd spend the rest of my life worrying about what was happening here, and feeling as if I missed my one opportunity to contribute to the wellbeing of mankind.

I'm going down tomorrow, and I have no idea what to expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.