Saturday 14 September 2013

Tan

I know where the watch came from.

I found a body. It was lying face down in the furrow. I turned it over. Somehow, it's the body of one of the researchers who entered the cavern and never left. I don't pretend to understand how the body came to be so many miles away, how it is that the corpse looks so fresh. This is the second one I've seen. It makes no more sense to find one of the missing researchers here than to find one where the old station used to be. 

I searched the corpse. There was nothing there to give me any clues. I noticed there was no watch on the wrist, but there was a tan line. So that's one mystery solved. I wanted to bury the body, but I don't have a spade. I settled for piling dirt and stones on top. It'll have to do.

I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep, so I carried on. Whatever's pursuing me doesn't seem to be anywhere near at the moment. I hope it stays away.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.